It's been so long since I ate natto, let alone natto with the yolk of a fresh egg. It's been a few hours since I've enjoyed this Japanese breakfast and I'm still alive so the raw egg was safe. It was a free range chicken egg from Nijiya Market so I'm fairly confident it's fresh (and more expensive then your typical grocery eggs). Natto is either a hit or miss even within the the ranks of Japanese. I love it, the wife hates it. To scramble in an egg yolk gives it a luxurious richness that coats the tongue. This all started when my ISMP Japanese film students said that the 1st thing they'd want to eat when they get back to Japan is raw eggs on top of things like rice and natto (called tsukimi). They've heard so many bad things about eating raw eggs in the States they had avoided it all together. Their passion for raw eggs inspired me to take the plunge and my stomach is nice and satisfied.
Monday, September 21, 2009
Tsukimi
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment